THE MIX 10K CHALLENGE OFFICIAL RULES
PLEASE NOTE: It is your sole responsibility to review and understand your employer’s policies regarding your eligibility to participate in trade promotions. If you are participating in violation of your employer’s policies, you may be disqualified from entering or receiving prizes. Microsoft disclaims any and all liability or responsibility for disputes arising between an employee and their employer related to this matter, and prizes will only be awarded in compliance with the employer’s policies.
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES: Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible for this offer.
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES:
These are the official rules that govern how the MIX 10K Challenge promotion (“Contest”) will operate.
In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of the Contest. “You,” “yourself,” “I,” “me,” and “my” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. Entrants create and submit a web application where the source files and embedded images do not exceed a size of 10 kilobytes. Refer to Section 3 (“WHO CAN ENTER”) for eligibility determination, and Section 4 (“WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY”) for additional entry requirements and details.
For purposes of this Contest, the web application that you create and submit in the Contest will be called an “entry.” The Contest seeks entries in two (2) separate Contest Categories: Judge’s Choice and Community Choice. All eligible entries received will be automatically entered into both Contest Categories and will judged using judging criteria described in Section 7 (“HOW ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED”).
WHAT ARE THE START AND END DATES?
This Contest starts at 12:01 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on December 15, 2009, and ends at 3 p.m. PT on January 29, 2010 (“Entry Period”). Entries must be received within the Entry Period to be eligible.
WHO CAN ENTER?
This Contest is a trade promotion and is not open to the general public.
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time of entry:
- You are a professional or a hobbyist in the field of web development or design; and
- You are 18 years of age or older; and
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are otherwise eligible to enter, but you have not yet reached the age of majority in your place of legal residence, then you should ask your parent’s or legal guardian’s permission prior to submitting an entry in this Contest.
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria; and
- PLEASE NOTE: U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following requirements:
- The entry MUST use one or more of the following technologies: Silverlight, Gestalt or HTML5; and
- The entry MUST be delivered as a .zip file where the unzipped sum total file size of all the files within the archive must not exceed 10 kilobytes (10,240 bytes); and
- PLEASE NOTE: For Silverlight applications, source files and embedded images for your web application cannot exceed a size of 10 kilobytes (not compiled); only the xaml, cs, vb, or "language of your choice" files and embedded resources are counted against the 10 kilobyte limit. Build instruction files are not counted against the limit (for example, Visual Studio Solution and Project files).
- PLEASE NOTE: For Gestalt applications, the standard Gestalt distribution (dlr.js and related files) will not count against the 10 kilobyte limit.
- The entry MUST function in 3 or more of the following browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or Chrome; and
- The entry MAY use any of the following additional technology components; and
- Text, Zip and Image files (e.g. png, jpg or gif)
- The entry CANNOT include third party source code, libraries, or assembiles. Data from third-party web services is permitted, provided that you have obtained all consents, approvals, or licenses required to use the data and you submit it into this Contest along with your entry.
- your entry must be your own original work; and
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest; and
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry; and
- your entry must not otherwise violate the rights of any other person or company by using their trademarks, music, logos, names or images without their express written consent.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW MY ENTRY MAY BE USED
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- agree that, to the extent you have any rights in and to the entry, you are granting us a non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide, sublicenseable and transferable right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; (ii) reproduce, copy, modify or alter your entry with all known all later developed means; and (iii) feature your entry in connection with the promotion of this Contest and the Microsoft MIX event in all media (now known or later developed).
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that we may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law; and
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you (or your parent or legal guardian) do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY
To submit your web application, navigate to http://mix10k.visitmix.com/, and enter the Contest by submitting your web application, as instructed. Contest participants that submit a valid entry during the Entry Period will receive a limited edition MIX 10K t-shirt, while supplies last. For purposes of this offer, a valid entry is an entry that meets the requirements described in Section 4 (“WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY”), and has been posted in the MIX 10K Gallery. The t-shirt offer is non-transferable, and not redeemable for cash. Please allow 4 weeks after the close of the Contest for receipt. In order to receive a t-shirt, entrants must provide a valid address and phone number at the time of submitting their entry. Any t-shirts returned as non-deliverable will not be resent.
We will accept (1) entry per person. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive, or that we are unable to access, for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason.
We will automatically disqualify any incomplete or illegible entry and any entries that we receive that do not meet the requirements described above and in Section 4 (“WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY”).
HOW ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED
All eligible entries received will be automatically considered for each Contest Category: Judge’s Choice and Community Choice. Winners in each Contest Category will be determined based on the following, equally weighted criteria: Originality, Functionality and Best Use of Technology.
Following the close of the Entry Period, a panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and, based on the judgng criteria set forth above, select one grand prize winner and up to three runners-up. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by an additional judge who will the judge the tied entries based on the judging criteria.
We will present eligible entries online in the Public Rating Gallery within three (3) business days of receipt of valid entry. Between 12:01 p.m. Pacific Time (PT) on December 15, 2009, and 3 p.m. PT on February 5, 2010 (“Public Voting Period”), visitors will be asked to rate each eligible entry in the Gallery, taking into consideration the Judging Criteria described above. Limit one (1) rating per person per eligible entry.
At the conclusion of the Public Voting Period, we will determine one Community winner, based on total weighted ratings received. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, the tie will be broken by judges, who will judge the tied entries based on the criteria listed above.
We, in our sole discretion, reserve the right to void suspect ratings or take other remedial actions if we suspect any use of robotic, automatic, macro, programmed or similar methods, known or unknown, to impact the integrity of the public rating result.
For both Contest Categories, the decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we reserve the right to not select any winners.
JUDGE’S CHOICE CATEGORY:
One (1) Grand Prize. A trip for winner to attend the Microsoft MIX 10 event, March 15-17, 2010 at Mandalay Bay Hotel, Las Vegas. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) - $3,200 USD. Trip includes:
- Three (3) nights standard hotel accommodations (for up to two people) at the Mandalay Bay Hotel, Las Vegas.
- Admission for winner to attend the Microsoft MIX 10 event, March 15 - 17, 2010.
- $1000 USD Visa Gift Card (or equivalent) to be applied towards travel expenses.
If the MIX 10 event is cancelled for any reason, Sponsor shall have no further obligation to the winner other than to provide the $1000 USD Visa Gift Card (or equivalent).
Three (3) Runners Up Prizes. Runners-up are chosen based on best use of technology, as determined by the judges, in each of three categories: Silverlight, Gestalt, HTML5.
- $500 Visa Gift Card (or equivalent) for each of the winners.
COMMUNITY CHOICE CATEGORY:
One (1) Community Choice Prize. Admission to attend the Microsoft MIX 10 event, March 15-17, 2010 at Mandalay Bay Hotel, Las Vegas. Approximate Retail Value (ARV) - $1,700 USD. Trip includes:
- Admission for winner to attend the Microsoft MIX 10 event, March 15 - 17, 2010.
- $500 USD Visa Gift Card (or equivalent) to be applied towards travel expenses.
If the MIX 10 event is cancelled for any reason, Sponsor shall have no further obligation to the winner other than to provide the $500 USD Visa Gift Card (or equivalent).
If you are selected as a potential winner of this Contest:
- The prize will be awarded to you and you shall ensure it is used and/or distributed in accordance with your company's policies (Note: We are not responsible for the re-distribution of prizes within your company, if required); and
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we will award it to an alternate potential winner; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
HOW WINNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address listed on your entry within seven (7) days following winner determination. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.
If there is a dispute as to who is the potential winner, we will consider the potential winner to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to enter the Contest.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability/publicity release and W-9 or W8-BEN tax form. If you do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select the next highest-scoring entry.
OTHER CONDITIONS YOU ARE AGREEING TO BY ENTERING THIS CONTEST
By entering this Contest you (your parent or legal guardian if you are a minor) agree and understand that:
- To abide by these Official Rules;
- To the extent allowed by law, to release and hold harmless Microsoft, their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest or any prize won;
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
- This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of Washington courts (state and federal) for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest.
This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
Computer “hacking” is a crime. If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
FIND OUT WHO WON
We will post the winning entries online after Feb 15, 2010 at http://mix10k.visitmix.com/. This posting will remain active for at least 30 days.
Microsoft Corporation is the sponsor of this Contest.Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Attn: MIX 10K, Bldg 24/2051
Redmond, WA 98052